OIA Sustainability Boot Camps are designed to help small to mid-sized brands with limited to no dedicated sustainability staff or expertise to accelerate sustainability improvements and meet (or exceed!) customer expectations. They are intensive, 1-2 day sessions combining engaging speakers, educational content, hands-on activities, and take-home resources. At the end of the day, participants will be able to more confidently champion sustainability within their brand, establish their organization’s sustainability strategy and program, and will leave with a customized action plan to guide next steps.
Upcoming Boot Camp Stops
- Get up to speed. Understand how global sustainability challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss and water scarcity relate to your products and supply chain — and impact your business.
- Be strategic. Learn how to develop and execute a focused sustainability strategy that will give your brand the most bang for your buck.
- Make a plan. Gain step-by-step guidance on how to implement best practices in priority areas such as climate change, chemicals management and social responsibility, use best-available tools like the Higg Index, and create your own customized improvement plan.
- Become an effective champion. Be prepared to communicate the business value for action and gain buy-in for sustainability initiatives.
- Establish your support system. Connect with industry peers and access an expansive network of experts, tools and resources that will support your sustainability improvement journey for years to come.
“Great! Exceeded expectations, less daunting now, inspired, learned a lot, LOVE this industry! We are so fortunate.”
“I’m coming away from this with renewed enthusiasm and specific actions to bring to the sustainability team. It felt like the information was tailored to my questionnaire responses which means people are going through similar challenges.”
“Beyond sustainability, it was very refreshing to be with other employees from brands on a level playing field without sales or any other implications/promotions.”
Sustainability Boot Camp FAQs
This program is administered by, and all funds are payable to, the Outdoor Industry Association.
Any brand, whether an OIA member or not, is welcome to attend. We encourage teams of 2 per company, representing different functions (e.g. product, sustainability, marketing and/or sales). While the content will primarily be tailored to apparel, footwear and to some extent, hard goods brands, all product types are welcome.
Registration for the Thursday, September 19 Boot Camp is now open. Registration will close in early August, or sooner if capacity is reached. To receive notification for future Boot Camps, please signup to our email list here.
OIA’s Sustainability Boot Camps are especially designed for small to mid-sized brands with limited to no sustainability staff or expertise in-house. Boot Camp attendees will get a 1-2 day crash course on sustainability issues and best practices that are most relevant to the outdoor industry, learn the process (and get free tools!) to develop your sustainability strategy as well as clearly understand what you can do to drive business value in priority areas (climate, chemicals management, social responsibility). You will leave with a start on your own customized action plan to accelerate your progress and meet or exceed your retail customer expectations. The smaller-sized nature of the camps allow for a more intimate workshop format with engaging speakers, hands on activities, educational content and best and leading practice examples. Download a sample agenda here for a more detailed target, objectives and preliminary agenda.