OIA Sustainability Boot Camps are designed to help small to mid-sized brands with limited to no dedicated sustainability staff or expertise to accelerate sustainability improvements and meet (or exceed!) customer expectations. They are intensive, 1-day sessions combining engaging speakers, educational content, hands-on activities, and take-home resources. At the end of the day, participants will be able to more confidently champion sustainability within their brand, establish their organization’s sustainability strategy and program, and will leave with a customized action plan to guide next steps.
Upcoming Boot Camp Stops
Stop 1: Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2019
Stop 2: Denver, COJune 16, 2019
Stop 3: New York City, NYSeptember 19, 2019
Stop 4: Costa MesaDecember 5, 2019
- Get up to speed. Understand how global sustainability challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss and water scarcity relate to your products and supply chain — and impact your business.
- Be strategic. Learn how to develop and execute a focused sustainability strategy that will give your brand the most bang for your buck.
- Make a plan. Gain step-by-step guidance on how to implement best practices in priority areas such as climate change, chemicals management and social responsibility, use best-available tools like the Higg Index, and create your own customized improvement plan.
- Become an effective champion. Be prepared to communicate the business value for action and gain buy-in for sustainability initiatives.
- Establish your support system. Connect with industry peers and access an expansive network of experts, tools and resources that will support your sustainability improvement journey for years to come.
Sustainability Boot Camp FAQs
This program is administered by, and all funds are payable to, the Outdoor Industry Association.
Any brand, whether an OIA member or not, is welcome to attend. We encourage teams of 2 per company, representing different functions (e.g. product, sustainability, marketing and/or sales). While the content will primarily be tailored to apparel, footwear and to some extent, hard goods brands, all product types are welcome.
Registration for the March 14 Sustainability Boot Camp closed February 20. Registration for future Sustainability Boot Camps will open approximately 3 months prior to the event date – please sign up for the email list above to receive registration notification or check back here at that time.
OIA’s Sustainability Boot Camps are especially designed for small to mid-sized brands with limited to no sustainability staff or expertise in-house. Boot Camp attendees will get a 1-day crash course on sustainability issues and best practices that are most relevant to the outdoor industry, learn the process (and get free tools!) to develop your sustainability strategy as well as clearly understand what you can do to drive business value in priority areas (climate, chemicals management, social responsibility). You will leave with a start on your own customized action plan to accelerate your progress and meet or exceed your retail customer expectations. The smaller-sized nature of the camps allow for a more intimate workshop format with engaging speakers, hands on activities, educational content and best and leading practice examples. Click below for a more detailed target, objectives and preliminary agenda.