OIA Sustainability Boot Camps are designed to help small to mid-sized brands with limited to no dedicated sustainability staff or expertise to accelerate sustainability improvements and meet (or exceed!) customer expectations. They are intensive, 1-day sessions combining engaging speakers, educational content, hands-on activities, and take-home resources. At the end of the day, participants will be able to more confidently champion sustainability within their brand, establish their organization’s sustainability strategy and program, and will leave with a customized action plan to guide next steps.
By the end of this session, you will be better equipped to design and execute a focused sustainability strategy and action plan for your brand.
- Get up to speed. Understand how global sustainability challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss and water scarcity relate to your products and supply chain — and impact your business.
- Be strategic. Learn how to develop and execute a focused sustainability strategy that will give your brand the most bang for your buck.
- Make a plan. Gain step-by-step guidance on how to implement best practices in priority areas such as climate change, chemicals management and social responsibility, use best-available tools like the Higg Index, and create your own customized improvement plan.
- Become an effective champion. Be prepared to communicate the business value for action and gain buy-in for sustainability initiatives.
- Establish your support system. Connect with industry peers and access an expansive network of experts, tools and resources that will support your sustainability improvement journey for years to come.
Sustainability Boot Camp FAQs
This program is administered by, and all funds are payable to, the Outdoor Industry Association.
Any brand, whether an OIA member or not, is welcome to attend. We encourage teams of 2 per company, representing different functions (e.g. product, sustainability, marketing and/or sales). While the content will primarily be tailored to apparel, footwear and to some extent, hard goods brands, all product types are welcome.
Registration for our first Boot Camp (March 14 at REI’s flagship store in Seattle, WA) closes on Feburary 4, or sooner if capacity is reached. Space is limited! Register today.
OIA’s Sustainability Boot Camps are especially designed for small to mid-sized brands with limited to no sustainability staff or expertise in-house. Boot Camp attendees will get a 1-day crash course on sustainability issues and best practices that are most relevant to the outdoor industry, learn the process (and get free tools!) to develop your sustainability strategy as well as clearly understand what you can do to drive business value in priority areas (climate, chemicals management, social responsibility). You will leave with a start on your own customized action plan to accelerate your progress and meet or exceed your retail customer expectations. The smaller-sized nature of the camps allow for a more intimate workshop format with engaging speakers, hands on activities, educational content and best and leading practice examples. Click below for a more detailed target, objectives and preliminary agenda.
- Understand global trends and key drivers for upping your sustainability game: Yes, your biggest customer may be asking you for this, but that’s not the only reason it matters …
- Break it all down: Explore impacts and opportunities along the product life cycle using actual products.
- Understand key elements of a robust strategy and the process to develop one
- Learn how to conduct a materiality assessment to identify the issues most important to your business.
- Opportunity analysis: Use your prep survey results and other data to develop a short list of prioritized opportunities for action.
Learn more about the Outdoor Industry Association
- In-depth focus: Explore 1-2 priority issues and related opportunities (e.g. chemicals management, animal welfare, social responsibility), drawing upon best and leading practice examples in the outdoor industry and beyond. *Note: Specific issues of focus for each Boot Camp to be determined based on participant prep survey results. A more detailed agenda will be developed and shared with attendees.
- Make progress on a draft action plan for your brand that defines potential goals, timeline, key actions and roles for 1-2 priority areas.
- Gain pro-tips and practice how to communicate the business value for action with senior leadership and colleagues and gain buy-in for sustainability initiatives.
- Learn about free or low-cost tools and resources available from OIA and partners to accelerate your progress.
- Your next steps + meeting close.