2018 Voters Guide
WE DID IT
#VoteTheOutdoors was an unprecedented success!
- We reached 14 million Americans
- 3,000 social posts circulated
- 20 of our 23 endorsed candidates won
- 5 of 6 ballot measure recommendations prevailed
While the election is over, there remains much to do. OIA’s Government Affairs team will be working hard to advocate for policy that keeps our industry healthy. On occasion, we will be asking for your help. Lean in and join us on votetheoutdoorsaf.org – we will keep you up to date on all you can do in 2019 and in 2020.
Strength in Numbers
The numbers speak for themselves. The outdoor industry employs more than 7.6 million Americans, generates more than $887 billion in consumer spending and accounts for 2 percent of the United States GDP. Outdoor Industry Association strives to increase participation, help advance sustainable business practices and shape public policy. We need the right people in power to support our goals.
Feel the Power
Your vote matters. Stay informed—and not just before elections. And hold the candidates accountable. Be the difference.
Outdoor Industry Association supports candidates running for elected office in the United States who meet the following criteria:
- Recreation Economy: Recognize the size, scope and impact of the Outdoor Recreation Economy in their respective district and state as well as at the federal level; legislate and vote in a manner that supports the $887 billion in consumer spending and 7.6 million sustainable American jobs generated by the Outdoor Recreation Economy.
- Public Lands: Stand up for the conservation of state and federal public lands and waters; fight for conservation and infrastructure funding; work to make the outdoors accessible to everyone.
- Trade: Support balanced trade initiatives including federal tariff reform that relieve outdoor businesses of disproportionately high import taxes, support businesses that manufacture their products domestically, and support policies that promote sustainable products and supply chains.
- Climate: Acknowledge the threat of climate change to our public lands and waters and to the Outdoor Recreation Economy and seek policies that seek to mitigate the effects of global warming.
We’ve selected 34 Races to Watch, which not only affect local constituents but could also impact federal and state outdoor recreation policies. We’ve also included Consumer Spending numbers in candidates’ districts and states to show the (often overlooked) extent of the Outdoor Recreation Economy. We’ve indicated 13 official OIA Endorsements for those candidates we feel will make a difference in the legislative balance of power and in how recreation and trade policy is shaped on the local and national level.
In addition to this resource, make sure to review the OIA Scorecard Grades. They’re a quick-scan summation of how much a candidate (if he or she is a current sitting member of Congress) has supported issues critical to growing the Outdoor Recreational Economy.