Gain exclusive insights on the state of the outdoor market including participation, consumer trends, and economic and social forces impacting our industry. Key findings from the report include:
- THE OUTDOOR ECONOMY: Outdoor recreation accounted for 1.8% of the U.S. GDP in 2021 with $689B in gross output and 4.3M jobs.
- INCREASING DIVERSITY: Diversity in age and ethnicity is accelerating in the U.S., but the outdoor participant base is less diverse than the population.
- OUTDOOR GROWTH: New participant entries into outdoor recreation are 26% since January 2020. Skateboarding, hiking, kayaking, and surfing had the highest growth rates across outdoor categories.
- POST-COVID EFFECTS: Patterns in how we return to work will affect outdoor participation. Remote work allows many to participate outdoors for the first time, during hours when they would have been in an office or commuting, and across more outdoor activities.
- RISING INFLATION: High inflation, 9.1% in June and 8.5% in July, is likely to reduce spending in the outdoor market.
- FASHION TRENDS: Several fashion trends are currently red hot including “Cottage Core” and “Coastal Grandmother.” Read about and see images related to these and more hot trends that are likely to impact outdoor apparel.