Outdoor Foundation Selects 2017 Paddle Nation Project Grant Recipients
Projects reinforce the idea that recreational paddling is one of the most accessible and impactful ways in which young Americans are introduced to the outdoors.
This year 1,895 people will have the opportunity to explore America’s waterways, thanks to Outdoor Foundation’s Paddle Nation Grant Program, which connects youth with their local waterways through recreational paddling. Eleven community-based projects from 11 states are being awarded a total of nearly $25,000 to increase paddlesport participation among youth and young adults across the United States.
The winners are (organization | project | amount):
- Arkwings Foundation | Introducing Inner-City Youth to Their River | $2,500
- Families in Nature | Familias Aventureras Paddling Program | $2,500
- Friends of Ottawa County Parks, Inc. | Float Your Boats | $2,496
- GirlVentures | GirlVentures’ Outdoor Adventure Courses: Inspiring a Lifelong Love of Paddling | $2,500
- Horn of Africa Services | Summer Youth Engagement Program Kayaking | $434
- Jackson Street Youth Services | Willamette River Experiences for Homeless Youth | $2,060
- Layaya | Layaya Discovery Expeditions | $2,500
- Northwest Indiana Paddling Association | Trail Creek Week | $2,500
- Palouse Prairie School | Confluence of Cultures | $2,300
- Riveredge Nature Center | Connecting Families to Nature through Adventure Paddlesports | $2,500
- Stoked Mentoring Inc. | STOKED Stand Up Paddleboarding and Yoga Program | $2,500
Projects were chosen based on their innovation, likelihood of increasing paddling participation, number of youth impacted, partnership potential and budget factors.
The Paddle Nation Grants are made possible by support and funding from the Outdoor Foundation and Outdoor Retailer. The awards fund pioneering projects and initiatives that result in increased paddling participation.
Since 2012, More than 80 projects have been funded with more than $212,000 given to noteworthy projects. Working with more than 50 different retailers, 13,746 individuals have gotten outside on waterways, including 8,908 youth. In total, 163,783 hours have been spent outside paddling.
For more information about the Outdoor Foundation visit outdoorfoundation.org.