OIA Sustainability Working Group – Sustainability Snapshot
Week of January 8, 2018
Speakers Announced for the Sustainability Convergence #1: Material + Chemistry Innovation on Tuesday, January 24 at ORWM: OIA’s vision for the Sustainability Convergence events is to provide a space for learning and connection around big issues the industry is facing, in an effort to facilitate connections that will drive innovation addressing key shared challenges and reducing the industry’s impacts.
There is a growing demand for chemicals, materials, and ultimately, products that are safer for people and the natural world, which is why this first Sustainability Convergence will focus on material and chemistry innovation. Click here for more information
- Opening Plenary: The Outdoor Industry Materials and Chemistry Innovation Landscape, Needs, and Vision of Success What is the purpose of this workshop, and what’s in it for OIA Sustainability Working Group brands, retailers, and suppliers? We’ll start with high-level framing and context to ground attendees in this session, including discussion of OIA’s vision of success.
- Speakers: Bob Buck, Chemours / Mitch Krauss, Burton (OIA Chemicals Management Co-Chairs); Beth Jensen, OIA; Marty Mulvihill, Safer Made
- Panel: Innovative Solution Development + Deployment: How are new material and chemistry solutions advanced and adopted? This afternoon session will dig into shared industry challenges and barriers, potential solutions, and key lessons from the field – a view of the strategic opportunities for adoption of safer chemistry and materials innovations within the outdoor industry. Join us to hear from companies
- Speakers: Karla Mora, Alante Capital; Milos Ribic, Adidas/Hydra Ventures; Una Murphy, Levi Strauss & Co
- Case Studies: Stories of Successful Partnerships Advancing Innovation
- Speakers: Todd Copeland, Patagonia – DWR (Beyond Surface Technologies); Tom Flicker, Target – fiber recycling (Thread, Evernu) Claire Gibson, Marmot + Martin Flora, Green Theme International – DWR (Green Theme International); Ana Van Pelt, Niche Snowboards – recyclable epoxy resin (Connora)
RSVP for the Ethical Rubber Sourcing Meeting on Thursday, January 25 at 10:00am MT: For those interested in following up on the presentation held at the Sustainability Insights Conference at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, we will be hosting an ethical rubber sourcing meeting to discuss progress and updates as well as next steps and opportunities. If you are interested in attending this meeting, please RSVP with Nikki at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will follow-up with meeting details.
RSVP for the Marketing and Communications Roundtable on Friday, January 26 from 2:00-3:30pm. For 10 years the Sustainability Working Group has collaborated amongst more than 150 outdoor brands, retailers, suppliers and other stakeholder organizations to work to identify and implement better business practices throughout our shared supply chains. How do brands tell the story of supply chain sustainability in a way that is compelling to their customers? How we make sustainability part of the value proposition? Join us for a roundtable discussion at ORWM to look at case studies and discuss how OIA can support brand and industry efforts to communicate sustainability efforts. RSVP by sending Nikki an email at email@example.com
OIA Sustainability Working Group Meeting Venue Announced: Thank you all for your patience as we’ve worked to figure out a new venue for our meetings. Please see the updated agenda for all meeting room locations and if you haven’t yet registered, be sure to do that here.
When: January 23 -24, 2018
Where: Hilton Denver City Center, Denver, Colorado
Cost: Free! However, registration is still required.
Missed it last week?
- Heading to ISPO? Check out the European Outdoor Group sustainability program at ISPO. It’s available here.
- C&A Foundation: Request for Proposals for Circular Business Models: C&A Foundation is looking for innovative ways to bridge the gap in the implementation of circular business models in companies at all levels of the apparel value chain. Deadline: February 18, 2018. Applicants must fulfil the criteria outlined in the request for proposals, and use the template provided in the appendix. Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sustainable Apparel Coalition Launches Public Registration for Higg.org, Extends Discounted Rate for Facilities Through January 31. See last week’s Snapshot for more details.
- Italy encourages circular overhaul, EcoTextile News (subscription required)
- ‘Blue Planet II’ Demonstrates Mainstream Media’s Role in Driving Consumer Behavior Change, Sustainable Brands
Subscribe to Sustainability Snapshot
Get an email reminder when we have a new Sustainability Snapshot published.