OIA Policy Alert: Letter to Support Priorities in Build Back Better Act
The deadline to sign-on has been extended to Friday, December 10th!
Proposed Climate and Outdoor Investments in the Build Back Better Act are Pivotal to the Future of Business, People, and the Planet
Congress will spend the next weeks finalizing the contents of a historic social spending bill. Key provisions in the Build Back Better Act will tackle climate and environmental justice issues head-on and will promote key policies for the outdoor industry’s success. The draft legislation has changed over the past months of negotiation, and as the process heads toward the finish line, we must ensure that those issues that matter to us are retained in the final bill language.
These historic investments include dollars for the creation and funding for a Civilian Climate Corps; capital and incentives for the development and deployment of renewable energy across sectors; and, increased resources for underserved communities to have access to safe, clean, and accessible green spaces.
As Congress moves forward on finalizing the legislation, considering amendments, and eventually handing it to President Biden for signature, it is important that our industry’s voice is heard and that these consequential programs are codified and implemented. The vitality of the outdoor industry, our outdoor participants, and our climate are dependent upon this generational opportunity for investment.
NOW is the time to voice our industry’s priorities for the Build Back Better Act! Ensure your company’s support is heard and add your company’s name to our letter to Congress by close of business on Friday, December 10th.
It is pivotal that key provisions outlined below remain in the final text of the legislation for passage. OIA and our members support the following crucial components of the Build Back Better Act:
- The creation and funding for a Civilian Climate Corps to bring jobs to local communities, and to advance implementation of the Great American Outdoors Act;
- Robust funding for the Department of the Interior;
- Funding for pivotal investments in renewable energy, including expenditures in the power sector, as well as tax incentives for the development and application of clean energy solutions across sectors;
- Environmental and Climate Justice funding for disadvantaged communities to address disproportionate public health and environmental damage; and,
- Initiatives prioritizing the development of urban parks and other place-based programs supporting increased access to outdoor spaces in traditionally underserved communities.
- Combined with important investments committed in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, the Build Back Better Act will ensure that our nation’s lands and waters will get the attention needed to encourage resiliency, health, and sustainable access.
- The Build Back Better Act will also prioritize catalytic investments in renewable energy, and in rural and urban communities disproportionately impacted by climate change.
- Finally, the Build Back Better Act will include human-centered investments that will make it easier for people throughout the country to experience the wonder of the outdoors.
Now is the time to speak up about our values and priorities around the future of the planet, our industry and outdoor participants! Sign our letter to Congress before December 10th!
Current signatories (as of December 10th):
BBB Signatories as of 4pm MT Dec 10
American Camp Association
Backcountry Access, Inc.
Backpacker’s Pantry (American Outdoor Products)
Board Retailers Association
Bridge City Kid
Clif Bar & Company
Colorado High School Cycling League
Cross Current Insurance Group
DHTC CO LTD
Darn Tough Vermont
Darn Tough Vermont(R)
Erem Desert Inc
First Name LLC
Industrial Revolution -UCO
Island Explorer LLC dba Whidbey Island Kayaking
La Sportiva N.A., Inc.
Minneapolis Southwest KOA Holiday
Minority Outdoor Alliance
Never Summer Mountain Products
Oberalp North America
Osprey Packs Inc.
OutdoorX4 Magazine & XPLORE Journal
Portland Design Works
See More Birds Nature Tours
Simms Fishing Products
South Coast Tours LLC
Stanley, a Brand of PMI Worldwide
The Sporting Life Network
Tools For Trails
True North Gear
Verde Brand Communications
WA Event Management
Waterloo Bicycle Works
Western Spirit Cycling
YAMA Mountain Gear
YMCA Camp Shady Brook