In the 2020 OIA board election, we are seeking candidates with the specific skills and experience below:
We are particularly interested in adding directors with one or more of the following skills or backgrounds:
- Financial acumen
- E-commerce or new business models that intersect or overlap with the outdoor industry
- Active Lifestyle industry experience
- Passion for or experience with policy work
- Outdoor industry sales rep
- Outdoor industry retailer
- Supplier or service provider
- Possess the highest personal and professional ethics, integrity and values.
- Be committed to representing the best interests of the members and the industry.
- Have an inquisitive and objective perspective, practical wisdom and mature judgment.
- Have a personal commitment to outdoor recreation and OIA’s mission to ensure the growth and success of the outdoor industry.
- Be willing to devote sufficient time to their duties and responsibilities, which include (among other duties):
- Attendance at four board meetings per year: spring (location TBD), fall (location TBD); and the day before each of the two Outdoor Retailer tradeshow events
- Attendance at the following OIA events: Capitol Summit in Washington, D.C., and OIA-related activities at Outdoor Retailer each January and June
- Participation in monthly committee teleconference calls (one-hour duration)
- Be committed to serve on the board for up to two terms (three years each).
- Assume the expense for travel, lodging, and miscellaneous expenses associated with OIA events/meetings. OIA will assist with travel in certain circumstances. Download policy for more information.
Well-qualified board candidates will possess skills, abilities and experience in many of the areas listed below:
- A good fit with the values and culture of OIA
- Accountability to our members
- Discovery and enjoyment of active outdoor recreation
- Access to and stewardship of our natural places
- Innovation and expertise in products and services
- Integrity in all we do
- Attributes that include
- The ability to understand, analyze and provide sound strategic direction on complex areas of the industry, including those in which the director may lack experience
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills based on mature intellect and proven business acumen
- The time and interest to be fully engaged as a significant contributor to the board
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A deep appreciation for the outdoors and the role of recreational activities in a healthy lifestyle
- An appreciation of giving back to one’s community and personal experience in community service and volunteering
- Candidate attributes that represent the diversity of OIA’s communities
Leaders with a diversity of experience, perspectives and identities, including but not limited to women, ethnically and racially diverse individuals and those representing the LGBTQ community
- Previous experience and proven effectiveness as a board member, including
- Experience on a for-profit business board or complex not-for-profit
- An understanding of, and belief in, effective and leading practices in board governance
- Skills in effective inquiry to further group discussion and understanding of issues and opportunities
To be eligible for election or appointment as a director, you must be at least 21 years old at the time of your election.
All elected directors must also, at the time of their election and during their respective terms of office, satisfy standards of independence prescribed by the Nominating and Governance Committee (and approved by the board).