As the largest trade association for the outdoor industry, Outdoor Industry Association has the unique privilege of working with countless leaders of outdoor companies, organizations and policy makers, all of whom are working to ensure the growth and success of the outdoor industry. To recognize their efforts, OIA has created a variety of awards and recognition programs.
Advocacy Leadership Award
The OIA Advocacy Leadership Award recognizes an individual OIA member who has significantly contributed to the advancement of the OIA Policy Agenda and the outdoor industry’s stature in the public policy arena. The award is presented annually and is based on the following criteria:
- Utilization of personal and company resources to engage employees, customers and the greater outdoor industry/recreation communities on elements of the OIA public policy agenda
- Participation in the OIA Capitol Summit lobby days and additional visits to Washington D.C., and state capitols to support the OIA Policy Agenda
- Support of the Outdoor Industry Association Political Action Committee (OIAPAC)
- Leadership and participation in OIA supported local, regional or national recreation or conservation campaigns, initiatives, organizations or associations
2014: Mike Ratchford of W.L. Gore Associates, and Sutton Bacon of Nantahala Outdoor Center
2013: Travis Campbell, CEO & President of Redington/Far Bank Enterprises, and Rafferty Jackson, Vice President and General Counsel, The North Face
In addition to the OIA Advocacy Leadership Awards, OIA also recognizes those individuals who make an outstanding contribution to advocacy at a regional level to ensure the integrity of the national outdoor recreation system.
Marc Berejka, Director of Government Affairs, REI
Nick Brayton, President, Woolrich
Carolyn Brodsky, President, Sterling Rope
Tony Ferguson, Logistics Administrator, Patagonia, Inc.
Ashley Korenblat, President, Western Spirit Cycling
Ann Krcik, Director, Brand Communications & Outdoor Participation, The North Face
Sue Rechner, President, Confluence Water Sports
Ken Meidell, President & COO, Outdoor Research
Brett Jordan, American Rec
Len Zanni, Big Agnes and Honey Stinger
Todd Litzman, Brandwise
James D. Rogers, Kampgrounds of America, Inc.
Cam Brensinger, Nemo Equipment, Inc.
Brad Werntz, Pemba Serves
Keith Reis, Sanitas Sales Group
Michael Fraliz, [TC]2
The Chairman’s Award is a rarely presented award given to an OIA member who demonstrates unprecedented leadership, commitment and inspiration during service to the OIA Board of Directors.
Jamie Bainbridge, nau
Betsy Blaisdell, Timberland
Kevin Myette, formerly with REI, now with Bluesign
Greg Scott, MEC
Jill Dumain, Patagonia
Peter Metcalf, Black Diamond Equipment
Skip Yowell, JanSport
Amy Roberts, OIA Staff
Terri Perlman, REI
Myrna Johnson, OIA Staff
Steve Barker, Eagle Creek
Mike Wallenfells, Mountain Hardwear
Jay Steere, Timberland
Friend of the Outdoor Industry Award
The OIA Friend of the Outdoor Industry Award recognizes members of the United States Senate and House of Representatives for their outstanding work that benefits all aspects of OIA’s policy agenda. Winners are selected based on their leadership on two federal fronts:
- The support for policies that create a stable and predictable environment for outdoor industry businesses, lower costs for outdoor businesses and their customers, and reflect the industry values of social and environmental responsibility
- The support for policies that advance legislation to enhance the national outdoor recreation system, access to recreation venues, and youth engagement in the outdoors.
2014: Governor Gary Herbert of Utah
2013: Sen. Max Baucus (DMT)
2012: Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (DNH), Rep. Dave Reichert (RWA8).
2011: Sen. Ron Wyden (DOR), Sen. Richard Burr (RNC)
2010: Rep. Mike Castle (RDE), Rep. Earl Blumenauer (DOR), Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM).
2009: Sen. Maria Cantwell (DWA), Rep. Raul Grijalva (DAZ)
2008: Sen. Gordon Smith (ROR), Rep. Mark Udall (DCO)
2007: Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne, Sen. Lamar Alexander (RTN), Sen. Thomas Carper (DDE), Sen. Ken Salazar (DCO)
2006: Sen. Conrad Burns (RMT), Sen. Susan Collins (RME), Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH), Sen. Ken Salazar (DCO)
2005: Sen. Lamar Alexander (RTN), Sen. Mary Landrieu (DLA)
2004: Sen. Patty Murray (DWA), Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (RNY)
2003: Rep. David Obey (DWI), Rep. Nancy Johnson (RCT)
2002: Rep. Norm Dicks (DWA)
2001: Rep. George Miller (DCA), Sen. Mike DeWine (ROH)