Osprey, a leader in creating top-quality, high-performance innovative carry solutions, announced today that its Fall 2022 product line puts the brand on track to become the most progressive, transparent and sustainable hardgoods brand in the world. Most notably, by shifting to recycled materials, Osprey is reducing its impact by 30-40% compared to using virgin materials. For Fall 2022, all new main body fabrics are made 100% recycled content (except where UHMWPE was used for added durability) and 65% of fabrics across the Fall 2022 line are made with 100% recycled content. Additionally, Osprey is now a full bluesign® Systems Partner.
Osprey first announced plans to become the most progressive, transparent and sustainable hardgoods brand worldwide in June 2019. From raw materials and chemistry benchmarks to progressive factory code of conduct agreements and programs that extend a product’s end of life, Osprey is taking a truly holistic approach and looking at every aspect of its business and those businesses connected to it to ensure that it leaves as little trace possible.
”Sustainability is achieved when a brand takes a broader look at the entire process of building high quality, innovative products,” said Osprey’s Vice President of Product, Mark Galbraith. “We are putting the same energy and effort that we put towards Osprey product development into examining our entire supply chain with the ultimate goal of having the lowest impact on the environment and the people who make our products.”
Osprey’s three pillars of sustainability are materials, chemistry and social responsibility. Significant milestones and accomplishments include:
- All new fabrics are made with 100% recycled content except where UHMWPE is used for added durability
- 65% of fabrics are made with 100% recycled content for Fall 2022
- 70% of all main body materials will be bluesign® approved by Fall 2022 with a goal of 90% in 2023
- 37% of buckles move away from carbon-based natural gas and are made from a certified renewable bio-based methane alternative
- 100% of all main body fabric DWR finishes are PFC/PFAS free
- Approximately 70% of all main body materials will be bluesign® approved by Fall 2022 with a goal of over 90% by 2023
- 100% of Tier 1 and 2 suppliers have signed Osprey’s progressive Code of Conduct
- One third of T1 factories received 3rd party audit by WethicA “Worldwide Ethic Alliance” in 2020
- All poly bags are 100% recycled and recyclable
- All paper packaging is FSC certified or recycled and recyclable
Progress Towards Carbon Neutrality
- Scope 1 | Direct Emissions from Owned or Controlled Sources
- Osprey calculated and purchased carbon offsets for domestic natural gas and fuel used in company vehicles
- Scope 2 | Indirect Emissions from Owned or Controlled Buildings/Offices
- Osprey calculated and purchased 100% renewable energy credits for all domestic offices and warehouse electricity usage
- Solar panels were installed on Osprey’s Vietnam office
- Scope 3 | Indirect Emissions – Not Owned from Upstream and Downstream Emissions
- Material production makes up most of Osprey’s Scope 3 GHG emissions. By shifting to recycled materials, Osprey is reducing its impact by 30-40% compared to using virgin materials
Founded in 1974 and based in Cortez, Colorado, in the foothills of the San Juan Mountains, Osprey designs the highest performing and longest lasting carry solutions on the market including technical packs for outdoor, travel and everyday adventures.
In addition to creating top-quality packs, the Osprey team is focused on becoming the most progressive, transparent and sustainable hardgoods brand in the world. From raw materials and chemistry benchmarks to progressive factory code of conduct agreements and programs that extend a product’s end of life, Osprey is taking a truly holistic approach and looking at every aspect of their business to ensure they leave as little trace possible. Osprey’s dedication to create innovative, high performance, sustainable gear reflects the brand’s love of adventure, devotion to the outdoors and steadfast resolve to leave the world better than they found it.
To learn more about Osprey and its products backed by their industry leading All Mighty Guarantee, visit osprey.com. Osprey products can be found online at osprey.com and in specialty retailers in over 60 countries worldwide. Follow all brand updates on Instagram (@ospreypacks), Facebook (@ospreypacks) and Twitter (@ospreypacks).