Individual board member’s duties and responsibilities:
- Attend all board meetings and come to board meetings prepared and informed about issues on the agenda.
- Attend special events and actively serve on at least one committee.
- Represent the members’ and global industry’s interests honestly and diligently.
- Proactively and positively represent the Organization to individuals, the public, and other organizations; promote membership.
- Understand the key aspects of the Organization’s business (e.g., technology, programs, competition, members, regulatory requirements, market conditions, and risks) and the industry in which the Organization operates.
- Gain assurance of the Organization’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Respectfully and constructively raise any issues, questions and concerns relevant to the Organization’s operations and major strategies and risks.
- Provide constructive feedback regarding collective and individual board performance.
- Promptly identify and disclose any potential conflict of interest or self-dealing transactions.
- Make all decisions and take all actions as a director in furtherance of the director’s fiduciary duties to the Organization’s members, based on the director’s good faith belief as to what is in the best interest of the Organization and its non-profit mission.
- Become reasonably well informed about the relevant material facts, alternatives, and consequences for each major Board decision.
- Maintain confidentiality as to all confidential information and proprietary information of the Organization until the Organization makes appropriate public disclosures.
- Encourage and support the Organization’s staff.
- Keep the Board Chair informed about any concerns the Board or members may have.
OIA Board Approved-January 20, 2015