5 Ways to Support Public Lands at Outdoor Retailer
Throughout the week and around the show floor, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in conversation and advocacy for the places we love to recreate.
A new addition to the Salt Palace show floor is the Public Lands Action Center, open every day of the show from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at booth #44. That’s right—an entire area dedicated to public lands. The PLAC is a gathering spot and educational forum for anyone who is passionate about America’s public lands and is looking for ways to protect them. Throughout the week, the PLAC will highlight different topics—ranging from the Boundary Waters to off-shore drilling in Alaska—with roundtables, panels and film screenings. Check out a detailed schedule of events happening at the PLAC here.
It’s not every day you get to celebrate America’s best outdoor recreation venues with thousands of your like-minded friends and colleagues. But on Thursday, July 27, you do. Link up with other Outdoor Retailer attendees and march from the south plaza of the Salt Palace to the state capitol to celebrate public lands at our This Land is Your Land March for Public Lands. The march begins at 4:30 p.m. Politics aside, the march is a rare chance to celebrate our industry’s strongest common theme—a deep appreciation for public lands. Pre-game with The Wilderness Society at their sign-making party hosted at the PLAC. Then take it outside and down to the state capitol for a public lands rally.
3. Outfit Yourself With Gear and Apparel That Supports Public Lands
After the This Land is Your Land March for Public Lands was announced, we received a flood of emails and text messages from member companies wanting to get involved. As a way to show their support, the following brands are offering gear fundraisers that help the cause:
- Columbia – Stop by the Columbia booth #28011. For a donation of $2, grab a This Land is Your Land-branded pin benefiting The Conservation Alliance Defense Fund.
- Croakies – For a $5 donation, get a Parks4Kids-branded Croakies and stay for an industry happy hour, booth #23027 on Day 1, July 26 at 4:30 p.m.
- Headsweats – Offering $10 National Parks trucker hats that benefit the National Park Foundation. For each hat sold, 20 percent will go to the National Park Foundation. Booth #38179.
- HydraPak – For a $5 donation get your limited-edition This Land is Our Land-emblazoned STOW 500ML bottle. Proceeds benefit the Access Fund’s public lands conservation efforts. Booth #5031.
- Klean Kanteen– Offering $15 This Land is Your Land March for Public Lands-branded insulated tumblers that benefit The Conservation Alliance Defense Fund. Booth# 3013
- Mountain Hardwear – This Land is Your Land March for Public Lands-branded pints giveaway to all booth guests throughout the show. Booth #26001.
- Nau and Sterling Rope – Offering $20 This Land is Your Land March for Public Lands hats that benefit Parks4Kids Utah. Booth #8001 and #3027
- Vasque – In partnership with the Outdoor Foundation and to acknowledge Utah’s important contributions to the outdoor industry at this year’s show, Outdoor Retailer attendees are encouraged to show their appreciation by writing down their favorite outdoor experience in the state and share it on a map for all to see. Each story shared through the Thank You Utah campaign will provide the resources to get Utah youth into the Utah wilderness through Parks4Kids. Booth #12001.
4. Crash One of These Parties
- Pre-game for the March for Public Lands with Ruff Wear and Smartwool. These brands are stocking their booths with poster board and markers for sign-making before heading to the capitol. Save Our Canyons is also hosting a sign-making party at both Fisher Brewery and its SLC office on July 26, from 5:00–8:00 p.m.
- Send a Thank You note to Utah for being the industry’s gracious host for the past 20 years. As you swing by Vasque’s booth #12001, grab a post card, jot down a message, and let SLC know how much you’ll miss it. For every five postcards, Vasque will make a gift to the Outdoor Foundation’s Parks4Kids Utah.
- Following the March, hit Caffé Molise at 10:00 p.m., for an after party and fond farewell to Utah. Co-hosted by Mountainsmith, Ibex, KUHL, Big Agnes, Darn Tough and Epic Brewing, the “SLC Thank You” party proceeds will go to The Conservation Alliance’s Public Lands Defense Fund. Grab a ticket at one of the participating brands’ booths for $20.
5. Bookmark the OIA Advocacy Center.
Copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://outdoorindustry.org/advocacy/. This is your basecamp for land and policy issues affecting your home state. In the Advocacy Center, you can browse issues impacting outdoor recreation and ways to rally support for different causes. You can also find policy updates about bills, resolutions, and executive orders related to public lands.