3 Things You Can Do TODAY To Grow The Outdoor Nation And Your Future Customer Base
Over the next four weeks, 92 colleges and universities will compete to log the most outdoor activities and earn the title of most outdoorsy school in the country. Play along with a school near you or near and dear to you.
Outdoor Nation is the largest and most active community of young people driving outdoor participation and recreation in the country. Behind its success are thousands of college students spearheading efforts at universities across the nation. The Outdoor Nation Campus Challenge is a March-Madness-meets-Mother Nature competition in which 92 universities compete to see which one can get the most people outside. The school with the most logged outdoor activities on the Campus Challenge app wins the title of National Outdoor Champion. Other prizes include Outsider of the Year, Regional Winners, Recognition Awards, free gear, and more.
Check out what the 2015 champ, Southern Utah University, is telling its network about the challenge.
And, no, you don’t have to attend one of the participating schools to play along and help grow the next generation of outdoorists. Here are three things you can do right now to play along, spread the word and capture the attention of thousands of participants and passionate young explorers.
- ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE
- Download the official Outdoor Nation app.
- Select the school you want to support—your own alma mater, one close to your heart or the one in your community—and begin logging your activities.
- Do this on your own or, better yet, pull in your friends, family and coworkers. Whether you work for a brand, retailer or other business, use this as an opportunity to build camaraderie through a little friendly competition.
- SPREAD THE WORD
- Develop a strategy for amplifying your participation and for pulling in more participants.
- Download ready-made collateral—posters, Instagram images, Facebook photos and posts, email banner images, logos—to display in your office, around your store, throughout your community, and on your social channels.
- TAKE A HIKE…OR A RIDE…OR A YOGA CLASS
- Log your activities on the app. You must include a brief description along with a photo for your activity to earn points.
- Every time an activity is logged, the user accumulates points. Activities are weighted depending on the type of activity.
- Outdoor activities are considered nature-based activities where an individual intentionally engages in the outdoors, with the outdoor element being the focus of the activity.
- Eligible activities include: Adventure Racing (like Tough Mudder), Biking/Mountain Biking, Camping, Climbing Indoor/Outdoor, Caving, Equestrian, Fishing/Hunting, Hiking/Backpacking, Paddle Sports (Kayak, SUP, Canoe), Outdoor Service Projects, Running/Jogging/Trail Running, Snowsports, Water Activities (Outdoor), Hammocking, Outdoor Clinics & Training, Skateboarding/Longboarding, Slacklining, Walking, Yoga (Outdoor), Bird/Wildlife Watching, Gardening, Stargazing. (Traditional team sports are not eligible.)
- Each activity must take place for a minimum of 30 minutes and have occurred between September 18 and October 15, 2017.
Four OIA member companies have signed on as title sponsors, earning them incredible exposure among an up-and-coming consumer market. Want in on that marketing gold? Contact our team to find out who you can take part as an official sponsor in 2018.