As the main trade association for the outdoor industry, Outdoor Industry Association has the unique privilege to work with countless leaders of outdoor companies, organizations and policy makers, all of whom are working to ensure the growth and success of the outdoor industry. To recognize their efforts, OIA has created a variety of awards and recognition programs.
ADVOCACY LEADERSHIP AWARD
The OIA Advocacy Leadership Award recognizes an individual OIA member who has significantly contributed to the advancement of the OIA Policy Agenda and the outdoor industry’s stature in the public policy arena. The award, which is presented annually at the OIA Thought Leader Dinner at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market trade show, is based on the following criteria:
- Personal engagement on the OIA public policy agenda
- Developing personal and company relationships with elected officials and
- Utilization of personal and company resources to engage employees, customers, and the greater outdoor industry/recreation communities on elements of the OIA public policy agenda
- Participation in the OIA Capitol Summit lobby days and additional visits to Washington D.C., and state capitols to support the OIA Policy Agenda
- Support of the Outdoor Industry Association Political Action Committee (OIAPAC)
- Leadership and participation in OIA-supported local, regional or national recreation or conservation campaigns, initiatives, organizations or associations
2013: Travis Campbell, CEO & President of Redington/Far Bank Enterprises, and Rafferty Jackson, Vice President and General Counsel, The North Face
2012: Jennifer Mull, president and CEO of Backwoods Retail, Inc., and Jim Zwiers, president of Wolverine Worldwide’s Outdoor Group
2011: Sally Jewell, CEO of REI, and Will Manzer, CEO of Eastern Mountain Sports
In addition to the OIA Advocacy Leadership Awards, OIA also recognizes those individuals who make an outstanding contribution to the advocacy arena at a regional level. Whether they are from smaller companies or in areas OIA doesn’t typically engage in politically, OIA’s Featured Advocates are those who work consistently at a local level to ensure the integrity of the national outdoor recreation system. Featured Advocates are recognized at the OIA Thought Leader Symposium at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market trade show.
Brett Jordan, American Rec
Len Zanni, Big Agnes and Honey Stinger
Todd Litzman, Brandwise
James D. Rogers, Kampgrounds of America, Inc.
Cam Brensinger, Nemo Equipment, Inc.
Brad Werntz, Pemba Serves
Keith Reis, Sanitas Sales Grounp
Michael Fraliz, [TC]2
John Romero, Gargantuan Gear
Paul Fish, Mountain Gear
Brigitte and Scott Rouleau, Morsel Munk
Josh Fairchilds, Oboz Footwear
Tag Kleiner, Smith Optics
Kristen Alvarez, Terra Strenua Outfitters
Dave Petri, Nester Hosiery
Molly Solberg, Duluth Pack
The Chairman’s Award is a rarely presented award given to an OIA member who demonstrates unprecedented leadership, commitment and inspiration during service to the OIA Board of Directors.
Peter Metcalf, Black Diamond Equipment
Skip Yowell, JanSport
Amy Roberts, OIA Staff
Terri Perlman, REI
Myrna Johnson, OIA Staff
Steve Barker, Eagle Creek
Mike Wallenfells, Mountain Hardwear
Jay Steere, Timberland
FRIEND OF THE OUTDOOR INDUSTRY AWARD
The OIA Friend of the Outdoor Industry Award recognizes members of the United States Senate and House of Representatives for their outstanding work that benefits all aspects of OIA’s policy agenda. Winners are selected based on their leadership on two federal fronts:
- The support for policies that create a stable and predictable environment for outdoor industry businesses, lower costs for outdoor businesses and their customers, and reflect the industry values of social and environmental responsibility;
- The support for policies that advance legislation to enhance the national outdoor recreation system, access to recreation venues, and youth engagement in the outdoors.
2013: Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT)
2012: Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Rep. Dave Reichert (R-WA-8).
2011: Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
2010: Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE), Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM).
2009: Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ)
2008: Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR), Rep. Mark Udall (D-CO)
2007: Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Sen. Thomas Carper (D-DE), Sen. Ken Salazar (D-CO)
2006: Sen. Conrad Burns (R-MT), Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH), Sen. Ken Salazar (D-CO)
2005: Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
2004: Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY)
2003: Rep. David Obey (D-WI), Rep. Nancy Johnson (R-CT)
2002: Rep. Norm Dicks (D-WA)
2001: Rep. George Miller (D-CA), Sen. Mike DeWine (R-OH)
OUTDOOR INSPIRATION AWARD
The OIA Outdoor Inspiration Awards presented by adidas Outdoor recognize individual people, groups and companies who inspire others to appreciate and recreate in the outdoors. Winners are selected from hundreds of moving stories of inspirational efforts from all over the world.
- Erik Weihenmayer
- National Outdoor Leadership School
- Nantahala Outdoor Center
- The North Face
- Martin Fox, Center for Global Leadership
- First Descents
- Mountain Mama